Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sectional Sofa

     Today I finished my first furniture piece, a modular sofa in the IKEA style.


     It was fairly easy to make. To make the base I stapled fabric to part of two L shaped piece of cardboard, then I added fluff in between the layers to make it wider, and after I got the right height I stapled the rest of the fabric. I made the sides and back the same way, but stapled the fabric where you can't see it with the cushions on. The I hot glued the sides and back, leaving the bottom edge slightly sticking out so it creates the legs of the sofa. For the front two legs, I found two classy looking white beads to glue on, and they don't look too bad.
 
All of the pieces (top view)


All of the pieces (bottom view)

     Then I made the cushions. I didn't like the way they looked originally, so I tufted them, which made them look so much more realistic. The one super long cushion I made to cover up a mistake. When I first made this couch, I didn't make a back and had a wide piece of foam as the back that also doubled as a cushion to make it look a little modern, but it looked terrible. I took that piece off and made a back, then made the long cushion to made the surface of the couch level. I don't really like the way it looks, but I worked too hard on this to change it now.
     After all that, I made the back cushions. This part definitely made it look more like a sofa. Last I made the accent pillows. This was probably the hardest. I have NO idea how pillows have all their seams on the inside. I would have tried to figure out a way, but I was a little too excited that I was almost done.
    
     So, that's it.
    
     Some random stuff:
  • The material I used was from an old pair of pants.
  • Yes, the front right cushion is crooked.
  • I eyeballed the scaling.
  • There is fuzz sticking out of the center corner because I cut my fabric too short, but was running out of staples so I couldn't redo it.
  • I only know what tufted means because my mom walked by and said "Ooh tufted cushions".
  • She now wants me to make a life-sized one for our living room.
  • It took me days to make what I could have in a few hours, because I'm a lazy bum.

No comments:

Post a Comment